When we work with binary data we often use the dt command to group the bytes into meaningful fields, eg.
0:000> dt ntdll!_PEB @$peb
+0x000 InheritedAddressSpace : 0 ''
+0x001 ReadImageFileExecOptions : 0 ''
+0x002 BeingDebugged : 0x1 ''
+0x003 BitField : 0x8 ''
+0x003 ImageUsesLargePages : 0y0
+0x003 IsProtectedProcess : 0y0
+0x003 IsLegacyProcess : 0y0
+0x003 IsImageDynamicallyRelocated : 0y1
+0x003 SkipPatchingUser32Forwarders : 0y0
The problem arises when the library owner does not provide type information in the symbol files. We are usually left with a manual decomposition of the bytes in a binary editor (010 Editor has a nice template system). Wouldn’t it be great if we had some template system available also in the debugger? I have some good news for you: with the latest release of WinDbg we received a very powerful feature: .natvis files. There were even two Defrag Tools episodes dedicated to this functionality: Defrag Tools #138 and Defrag Tools #139. Let’s first analyze how the .natvis files are built, to later use them in our binary data analysis.
Continue reading “.natvis files and type templates in WinDbg”
Recently while examining a slow request issue (I have a plan to describe this investigation in a seperate post) it came to me that every time I open the Thread Time view it takes a moment to understand what this view actually contains. I decided to write this post for me and for any of you who share the same feeling about this window🙂.
Continue reading “Understanding the Thread Time view in PerfView”
Today I would like to share with you an interesting (I hope) diagnostics case in one of our system services. The IngestService (that is its name) was not starting properly for the first time – it was being killed because of exceeding the default 30s timeout. But the second try was always successful. No exception was thrown and no logs could be found in the event logs. It’s a situation when ETW traces might shed some light on what’s going on. As it was a .NET service I used PerfView to record the trace file. An important checkbox to select when diagnosing thread wait times is the Thread Time box:
After collecting the traces on production, I merged them and copied to my developer machine.
Continue reading “Diagnosing a Windows Service timeout with PerfView”
I have been playing recently with quite a new windbg extension (released by Rodney Viana from Microsoft) called NetExt. Rodney Viana published an introductory post about it, which you may find on his blog. In this post I would like to show you my usage samples as well as encourage you to start using it by yourself. Netext documentation is thorough and nicely organized which is good because at the beginning you probably will spend a lot of time on this page🙂 In paragraphs that follow I will focus mainly on dump debugging, but most of the techniques presented here should work as well in live debugging sessions.
Continue reading “NetExt – SOS on steroids”
This post is the second and final one dedicated to debugging .NET Windows services (you may read the first one here). The inwrap tool (presented in the first part) is not very friendly to use and I myself haven’t used it since then🙂 It’s not the best advertisement of someone’s own work, but it did motivate me to write another tool which maybe will gain your interest. The winsvcdiag is a simple application that allows you to debug a start of a Windows service from Visual Studio (or any other debugger – even the remote one).
Continue reading “How to debug Windows Services written in .NET? (part II)”
I recently had an interesting issue in one of our applications. The SMS router, responsible for sending and receiving SMSes, hanged – there was no CPU usage and we haven’t observed any activity in the application logs. I collected a full memory dump and restarted the service, which seemed to come back to its normal state. Curious what happened I opened the dump in WinDbg, loaded PDE and SOS and started an investigation
Continue reading “A case of a deadlock in a .NET application”
In one of our applications I recently observed timeouts in code performing HTTP requests to the REST service. While investigating this issue I discovered few interesting facts about System.Net namespace and would like to share them with you. We were using objects of type System.Net.HttpWebRequest in our code, but some of the information presented in this post will also apply to the newer System.Net.HttpClient implementation.
Continue reading “Timeouts when making web requests in .NET”